Welcome to FARA FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions). Below, we have tried to answer the most common questions visitors to our Web site may have. If you find that your question is not answered on this page, please email email@example.com or call us at 301-519-9237.
FARA members can get additional information in the Members FAQ page contained in the Members Only Section of this site.
Click on “v” symbol to see descriptionWhat Is FARA?
The False Alarm Reduction Association is an association primarily of persons employed by government and public safety agencies in charge of, or working in, False Alarm Reduction Units. Visit the about us page for more information.
Why Should I Join FARA?
FARA members enjoy numerous benefits including access to newsletters, and publications, opportunities to network, ability to give input through participation in conferences and committees and access to training and certification programs. Visit the member benefits page for more information.
How Can I Join?
What Is A False Alarm?
- For a Burglar Alarm: According to the FARA Model Burglar Alarm Ordinance, a “False Alarm means an Alarm Dispatch Request to a law enforcement agency, when the responding law enforcement officer finds no evidence of a criminal offense or attempted criminal offense after having completed a timely investigation of the Alarm Site.”
- For a Fire Alarm: According to the FARA Model Fire Alarm Ordinance, a “False Fire Alarm means the activation of any Fire Alarm System which results in a response by the fire department and which is caused by the negligence or intentional misuse of the Fire Alarm System by the Owner, its employees, agents or any other activation of a Fire Alarm System not caused by heat, smoke or fire, exclusive of a Nuisance Fire Alarm.”
How Can False Alarms Be Avoided?
False alarms can be avoided with proper use, design and installation of alarm systems. The steps that you can take vary slightly depending on where the system is installed and your role. Users and alarm companies all have a role in preventing false alarms. For more information visit our alarm user information page.
Does FARA Have a Position on Specific Ordinances?
The most successful alarm management programs have combined several strategies to form a local program. Each municipality must select the proper combination of strategies to allow for the desired impact. While the most common strategies are listed in our False Alarm Reduction Strategies White Paper, there may be other successful methods that are not as widely known. Carefully research all options and decide which method(s) best suits the needs of your community, legislators and law enforcement. For more information visit the Member Publications page.
What Is In The Members Only Items?
The “Members Only” items of the FARA web site are designed to provide access to certain material that is not open to the general public. Items such as membership lists, past newsletters, Board of Directors meeting minutes, and publications, to name a few, are available only to False Alarm Reduction Association members as part of their dues payment. If you are a member and would like access to the “Members Only” items please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at 301-519-9237.
What is the Installation Quality (IQ) Program?
The Installation Quality Certification Board awards the Installation Quality Certification to companies that provide electronic security and life safety systems. The board is comprised of police and fire officials, experts from the insurance industry and the state regulatory community plus technical professionals from the alarm industry, recommended by the Electronic Security Association. The IQ Certification is granted to companies that agree to observe technical and customer service standards of quality and ethics. IQ certified companies agree:
- to provide top-notch maintenance and service programs,
- to train their employees in industry-recognized programs
- to meet all licensing requirements
- to have proper insurance coverage
- and to re-certify every year.
For more information on IQ visit http://www.iqcertification.org